Recipe by Erin Kyles for Wyman's
Cake Yield: 1 bundt cake
Total Time: 1 hr. 45 min.
For the Bundt Cake:
- 2 c. frozen Wyman's Wild Blueberries
- 3 ½ c. all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 2 eggs + 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 ½ c. buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 c. sliced almonds
For the Almond Glaze:
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 tbsp. milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a large bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, vegetable oil, and sugar. Beat the mixture on medium speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer running on medium-low speed, slowly add in the eggs one at a time, allowing the first egg to incorporate before adding the next. Then, beat in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Alternate adding in the flour mixture and buttermilk. The trick here is to only stir until combined, as overmixing can cause the cake to be tough and chewy. Stir in ⅓ of the flour mixture, followed by ½ of the buttermilk, ⅓ of the flour mixture. Add in the remaining buttermilk.
- Toss the frozen wild blueberries together with the remaining flour mixture. Add the flour mixture to the mixer, along with the sliced almonds. Stir together just until no flour streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bundt cake comes out clean. Leave the cake in the bundt until the pan has cooled enough to flip it over and remove the cake.
- For the almond glaze, in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk. If the mixture seems too thick, add some more milk to it. If the mixture seems too thin, add some more powdered sugar.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, pour the glaze over the cake. Top with extra sliced almonds, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Notes: It is important that the ingredients are at room temperature so that they properly incorporate with each other! Take the cold ingredients out at least 30 minutes before baking. The bundt can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.