Recipe by Alexis Lahner for Wyman's
Yields: 16 bars
Total Time: 1 hour & 55 minutes - 2 hours
(15 minute prep time, 40 - 45 minute bake time, 1 hour cool time)
For the Wild Blueberry Chia Jam:
- 2 ½ cups frozen Wyman's Wild Blueberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp all natural maple syrup
For the Oat Base & Topping:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup all natural applesauce
- ¼ cup all natural maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Wild Blueberry Chia Jam
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a 9" x 9" baking tray with parchment paper.
- Begin the blueberry chia jam by warming the frozen blueberries in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally to form a sauce. Push down upon the berries with a fork until the sauce has reached a smooth, even consistency.
- Mix in the chia seeds, lemon juice, water, and maple syrup to the sauce, and let the jam simmer for 1 - 2 minutes. Taste, and add in additional maple syrup if extra sweetness is desired.
- Remove jam from stovetop heat, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients for the oat base and topping. Once mixed, add in all the wet ingredients, and mix until evenly distributed and an even batter has formed.
- Fold in the lemon zest, and firmly press half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared baking tray to form the oat base. Spread the set aside blueberry chia jam evenly on top of the oat base, and sprinkle the remaining half of oat batter on top of the jam.
- Place bars to bake for 40 - 45 minutes, rotating tray halfway through time. Allow bars to cool for about 10 minutes in the tray, before transferring to a rack to fully cool before slicing up into 16 bars!
To store, refrigerate in an airtight container.