Recipe by Nicole Masson for Wyman's
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 Pop Tarts
For the Wild Blueberry Apple Filling:
- ½ cup Wyman’s Wild Blueberries
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the Pop Tart Assembly:
- 1 (14.1 oz) package of 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, whisked together
For the Maple Icing:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- In a small saucepan, heat the apples, wild blueberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon over medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring often, for 10-12 minutes, until the apples are softened and mixture is thickened. Using a masher or the back of a spoon, gently mash up the apples and blueberries into a chunky jam consistency. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the 2 pie crusts into 12-inch circles. Cut the edges of each circle using a pastry cutter or sharp knife to create a square. Slice each of them vertically into 3 even strips, then slice each in half horizontally to create 6 even rectangles, for a total of 12 rectangles.
- Place 6 of the rectangles on the prepared baking sheet. Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon of fruit mixture onto each of these 6 rectangles. Spread evenly, leaving about ½” border. Lightly brush egg wash around the edges to help adhere the tops.
- Using a fork, poke holes on the other 6 rectangles. Lay them on top to create the pop tarts and gently press to seal. Using a fork, seal the edges. Lightly brush egg wash over the top of the poptarts.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk. Add more milk, as needed, to create a glaze consistency. Spoon over the cooled poptarts.