Recipe by Kit Broihier, MS, RD, LD for Wyman's
Yield: 6-8 servings
- Cooking spray
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- pinch ground cardamom, optional
- 1 1-lb challah bread, cubed (or other firm, unsliced bread)
- 1½ cups Wyman's Triple Berry, thawed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon course sugar (sparkling sugar), optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of a 10-12-cup casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl; whisk briefly. Whisk in the cream, then add the brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and spices and whisk until mixture is combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Add the bread cubes to the bowl with the egg mixture. Using a large spoon, carefully stir to coat the bread with the egg mixture. Pour the bread cubes and any unabsorbed egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Evenly spoon the thawed berries over the top of the bread cubes. Sprinkle the top with the course sugar, if using.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Serve warm or cooled (a scoop of vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt, whipped cream or crème fraîche is a nice accompaniment).