Recipe by Kit Broihier, MS, RD, LD for Wyman's
Yield: One 9x9 cake, 9-12 servings
For the topping:
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold, unsalted butter, diced
For the cake:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Wyman's Mixed Berries, divided (do not thaw)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper or coat well with non-stick spray or softened butter.
- Prepare the topping: In a small mixing bowl, stir together the dry topping ingredients. Add the diced butter to the topping ingredients. Using a pastry cutter, a fork or clean fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set topping aside.
- Prepare the cake: In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter with the sugar until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat again until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.) Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and mix briefly until just combined. Gently fold in 1 cup of the frozen berries.
- Spread the batter in the pan (don't worry about making it smooth or perfect). Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of berries over the batter, and then sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool at least 20 minutes before cutting.